ANNOUNCE: xfce4-volumed 0.1.5 released

Steve Dodier sidnioulz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 20:10:27 CET 2009

2009/10/30 Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com>

> Am Freitag, den 30.10.2009, 19:45 +0100 schrieb Steve Dodier:
> > I do not want to put an abbreviation by default, for the reason Jannis
> > mentionned.
>
> Agreed. How about "Volume: 50%" then? I don't think we need whole
> sentences.
>
> BTW: Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but besides of the
> notifications, what is the use of volumed? We already have
> XF86AudioLowerVolume, XF86AudioRaiseVolume and XF86AudioMute which can
> be bound to some like "amixer set Master 10%- -q" with
> xfce4-keyboard-settings. This is highly configurable and should work for
> nearly all keyboards as HAL will take care of the mappings.
>
> So what is the use of having another daemon running?

That's exactly what I asked to Jannis when he thought about implementing
such a daemon. :)

The answer is that it's faster to do it via a daemon that will catch
keyboard events and directly speak with Gstreamer. Once the GUI allows it,
you can also graphically change the track to act on, just like for the mixer
applet. Also, it makes life easier for end users who don't know much about
scripts. And it shows sexy notifications.

> > Yet, I may make the string configurable in future releases – and more
> > important, translatable. This is one of the little things I have to
> > do... Most important now is support for that damn PulseAudio thing...
>
> Works fine here with PA on Fedora, although it uses ALSA on top of PA.

Some problems with Pulseaudio are some tracks/cards not displayed, the
volume muted to 0% when get_volume() is used at xfce4-volumed's
initialisation, and now some mysterious libpulse function likely to be using
100% of the CPU when xfce4-volumed is idling.

> Regards,
> Christoph

Steve Dodier
Student at École Nationale Supérieure d'Ingénieurs de Bourges
Free Software Developer