How can I turn off sound notifications?

Peter N. Spotts pspotts at alum.mit.edu
Wed Oct 28 14:29:33 CET 2009

Hi folks,

I'm migrating over to Xfce (Xubuntu variety) from Gnome on Ubuntu 9.10b
(continuously upgraded) and find that I get a horrid buzz instead of an
error tone (unless that really is the tone!). I have turned off sound
notification within individual applications when they give me that
option. But I still get the buzz.

I still have Gnome on the laptop and don't get any error tones when I
use Gnome. Just when I use XFCE. And I don't find a ready remedy in any
of the Xfce settings -- although I can't discount the fact that it may
be present, by my morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

Any way to shut off the buzz without turning all sound off?

With best regards,

Pete

--
Peter N. Spotts | Science reporter
The Christian Science Monitor

"The knack of flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
            -- Douglas Adams, "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"