non-english characters in Terminal, Thunar, etc

John W jwdevel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 22:11:25 CEST 2009

Hello,
I'm using xfce 4.6.1 on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE.

I have a few directories that have non-english characters, which
display with '?' characters.
Here is a screenshot: http://imgur.com/N8VeF.png

I'm hoping someone can de-mystify what's going on here...
I've checked out various documentation online but have not made much headway.
I'm not too familiar with l18n stuff in X, or at what layer this is
going wrong (application, xfce, X, fonts, etc).

Here's what I have:

The paths show correctly in xterm.
They show wrong in xfce's Terminal
They show wrong in Thunar
They show wrong in 'ls'

Can Terminal / Thunar be coerced to display characters correctly, or
is this just a per-application issue and they don't support it?

I have tried setting LANG=en_US.UTF-8, but that doesn't fix anything.
In fact, it breaks xterm. Maybe I just have the wrong LANG setting
though?

Or perhaps the font used by Terminal/Thunar doesn't support those characters?
I have tried various fonts in the properties for the programs, but with no luck.

I guess what I'm really wondering is: is this even a solvable problem?

Thanks
-John