restore screen resolution?

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Fri Nov 20 03:18:38 CET 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 17:41, John Coppens <john at jcoppens.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:32:24 -0800
> Randy Dunlap <rdunlap at xenotime.net> wrote:
>
>> > For reference, using xfconf-query would have been the better solution,
>> > but the result would be the same.
>>
>> But I can't do that in text mode, before X is running, can I?
>
> Actually it _is_ a commandline tool. I didn't know about it. On
> the other hand, I'm not sure if it's easier. I got to

Well, sure, it is, but it depends on you having a dbus session bus
running, which probably isn't the case if you're not running X.  Some
versions of dbus will auto-spawn a session bus if one is needed, which
can get you into trouble if you later start X without killing the
auto-spawned bus daemon, because then you have two bus daemons
running, and the second one (which becomes your main X session bus
daemon) doesn't know that xfconfd is already running, and tries to
start it again, which works... sorta... unless the first instance for
some reason decides to try to write to the config store.

No, that's not entirely the best design, but... well, it is what it is.

     -brian