Xfce with Compiz experiences?

Harold Aling xfce at sait.nl
Mon Nov 16 14:43:04 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 14:24, Liviu Andronic <landronimirc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all
> I was curious to read some experiences of Xfce users running Compiz.
> Do the two run together happily? Is the combination comfortable? Did
> you switch immediately back to xfwm4? This sort of things. If you
> use(d) the two together, please drop some comments here.
>
> Thank you
> Liviu

Liviu,

I've tried it and though I really like the GPU assisting in the
drawing of the desktop (fast!) I never could get used to the annoying,
time consuming animations and "bling bling". Also the focus stealing
prevention and multi-monitor support are not up-to-par with Xfwm4 and
there's quite a lag starting your desktop environment while Compiz
starts.

It took me 2-3 weeks before I decided to go back to Xfwm4 and it
really was a relief to be back!

Still I'd like to see GPU/OpenGL assisted window drawing in Xfwm4 though... ;)

-H-