suspend error (all of a sudden)

Mike McNally emmecinque at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 13:59:09 CET 2009

Well, thanks - I'll keep this around for the next time it happens. It
was late and I was tired so I just rebooted (thinking that it might
have been a problem with a recent batch of updates installed) and sure
enough after rebooting I could once again suspend the system without
incident. (I'm now typing on the system after a happy restore.)

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:41 AM, Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org> wrote:
> Run the following.
>
> dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal
> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.GetProperty
> string:'power_management.can_suspend'
>
> see if your system is able to suspend, if true try:
>
> dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal
> /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer
> org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.Suspend int32:0
>
> Post what you see here.
> Cheers,
> Ali.
>

> Mike McNally wrote:
>>
>> There's a whole bunch of "hald" processes running, and I did "service
>> hal stop" and "service hal start".  Now I don't get the error, but
>> suspending doesn't work.'
>>

>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Mike McNally <emmecinque at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> How do I do that? (I know what I'm doing in general but I don't know
>>> what exactly HAL is. Well, I do, but I don't know what starting it
>>> would look like.)

>>> --
>>> Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
>>> Pink and shiny, turn around.