xfdesktop woes

Hinko Kocevar hinko.kocevar at i-tech.si
Tue Nov 10 08:25:01 CET 2009

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 04:29, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
>>> - can not use my custom JPG file as desktop background as I used to -
>>> stock files seem to work just fine, FWIW they are PNG though
>> As Christoph mentioned earlier, this might be related to the
>> dependencies GTK+ was build with. GTK+ (and thus all Xfce apps) uses
>> GdkPixbuf to load images. GdkPixbuf is part of GTK+ and ships loaders
>> for several image formats that are enabled/disabled depending on the
>> libraries that are present at build time. So you might want to
>> recompile GTK+ with JPEG support. This doesn't sound like a problem
>> with xfdesktop itself.
>
> Especially if this guy is on Gentoo like I believe he stated -- there
> was recently a move from the years-long-stable libjpeg6 to libjpeg7.
> Likely the OP just didn't properly rebuild all reverse-dependencies.

After adding jpeg2k support and rebuilding gtk+ I can load JPG files as
desktop images too.

Best regards,
Hinko

--
Hinko Kocevar
Technical support software engineer
mailto: hinko.kocevar at i-tech.si

http://www.i-tech.si - When your users demand stability

The information transmitted is intended solely for the addressee and may
contain confidential and/or privileged information. Any review, retention,
disclosure or other use by persons other than the intended recipient is
prohibited. If you received this in error, please notify the sender and
delete all copies.