xfdesktop woes

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Mon Nov 9 14:37:40 CET 2009

Quoting Hinko Kocevar <hinko.kocevar at i-tech.si>:

> Should I mention that I have external monitor attached to my notebook
> (the machine I'm talking about the whole time)? I don't see any major
> difference when logging in with or without the external monitor, but
> nevertheless..

I don't know whether it is related, but I've experiencing problems
with my Xfce desktop as well whenever I attach a data projector to it.
Startup of Xfce takes ages, with a lot of flickering going on which I
don't see otherwise. As a result, the resolution on my laptop and on
the data projector are set incorrectly as X may attempt to set both at
the same resolution, failing miserably. OpenOffice display is reduced
to a pile of rubbish, with the menu entries set to font sizes of
apparently 72 or so, leaving it entirely inoperable. BTW my laptop has
a 1280x800 screen, whereas most data projectors use 1024x768. I
suspect that these difficulties are in fact X.org, or video driver
problems, which only indirectly affect Xfce startup.

These are just wild guesses as I'm not knowledgeable enough to debug this.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka