Network manager in xfce ?

Steve Dodier sidnioulz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 17:50:25 CET 2009

2009/11/1 Bo Thide' <bt at phisp.irfu.se>

> Hi Yves-Alexis,
>
> Sorry, I didn't realise that I was 'hijacking' anything.  Just wanted
> to pose a question to the xfce mailing list and thought I did the
> right thing ...
>
> The question I have is about how to set up NM in xfce, not about NM
> itself.  Since I prefer a single panel at the bottom of my screen (a
> panel that in xfce land apparently is called a "system tray" or a
> "notification area", and in our somewhat colloquial parlance is
> referred to as a "dash board") and get rid of the panel at the top
> of the screen (the default "panel 1" in xfce).  If I remove that
> panel, I also remove the NM icon and functionality and am no longer
> able to connect to Internet.
>
> You say:
>  Though, in your case, I guess it's totaly unrelated to NM, you just need
>  to move the notification area from the top panel to the bottom one. Just
>  remove it from the top, and then add it to the bottom (it'll be called
>  =E2=80=9Csystem tray=E2=80=9D or =E2=80=9Cnotification area=E2=80=9D,
> maybe
>
> It is precisely this I have tried several times without succeeding.
> Nowhere have I found a description on how to do it and my own attempts
> have sometimes led to disastrous results.  So if you know of any
> point-to-point description of exactly how to go about to make this
> move, I would be extremely happy.
>
> Once again sorry for my ignorance in this particular area of xfce.  It's
> just that I feel rather uncomfortable how to set up xfce and do not like
> neither gnome nor kde.  On the whole, though, I think I am reasonably
> computer literate (advanced UNIX applications and system programming for
> 25+ years under my belt, inclduding being one of the official
> contributors to X11 :-)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Bo

Hello Bo,

You need to right click on your bottom panel, click on "Add New Items...",
and then select the "Notification Area" item in the list, and click on
"Add".

I've uploaded a screenshot showing the item in the list, so you can
recognise it in your locale: http://imagebin.ca/img/zSX-gle.png

Also, it is more appropriate to use the Xubuntu IRC channel or mailing list
for Xubuntu related questions. You can find different support methods at
http://www.xubuntu.com/help. It will avoid questions that could be offtopic,
or Xubuntu specific, and it will help Xubuntu support teams know what users
are having trouble with.

--
Steve Dodier
Student at École Nationale Supérieure d'Ingénieurs de Bourges