configure desktop icons

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed May 20 01:40:32 CEST 2009

francis keyes wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I have Fedora 10 with xfce installed on a diskless machine that boots from a
> compact flash card.  For some reason I get filesystem icons on my desktop
> for /, /boot, and Filesystem.  How can I remove these permanently from my
> desktop and the desktops of any other users that I may create?
> I am not able to delete them from my desktop.  I found the file
> ./.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc
> that contains references for all the icons on my desktop.  I tired deleting
> things from this list but they reappaer when I log back in.

HAL is identifying / and /boot as removable for some reason, rather than
as fixed drives.  You can probably fix this with a .fdi file placed
somewhere in /usr/share/hal/, but fixing this is a bit out of the scope
of configuring Xfce.

You can remove 'Filesystem' using the options in Desktop Settings (if
you're running 4.6.x) or by reading xfdesktop's README file (if you're
runinng 4.4.x).

	-brian