Subject: Re: Lost tooltip menu, then toolbar function

Adam Bogacki afb at paradise.net.nz
Sat May 16 07:19:59 CEST 2009

> Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 16:15:41 -0700
> From: "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>
> Subject: Re: Lost tooltip menu, then toolbar function
..<snip>..
> Sorry what do you mean by "tooltip menu"?  I'm not sure I understand.

The menu activated at the cursor by a right click.

> If you've upgraded to Xfce 4.6, xfce-setting-show doesn't exist anymore.
>   It's been semi-replaced with xfce4-settings-manager.  You can't as
> easily launch individual settings dialogs; you need to find the command
> to run them in its associated .desktop file.  Usually you can find it by
> grepping for "DesktopSettings" in /usr/share/applications/.
>
> If your gtk apps aren't themed, it's possible xfsettingsd isn't running,
> or isn't installed.  It's a part of the xfce4-settings package.  Not
> sure if Debian has renamed it.
>
> If your background image is missing, xfdesktop is not running or is not
> installed.  Install it and start it.  If you're seeing a default
> background image and can't change it, something is wrong with your dbus
> setup, or xfconfd isn't running or isn't installed.
>
> > I am now using Fluxbox which, though lacking xfce functions,
> > "just works".
>
> Of course it does.  It's a single program with virtually no dependencies
> that does a small fraction of what Xfce does.
>
> > I am using a mixed stable/unstable Debian system which
> > might explain what could be dependency conflict during
> > transition to the latest xfce version.
>
> Possibly.
>
> > I would however be interested in any constructive comments
> > which readers might make.
>
> Find out if there's a recommended way to upgrade xfce properly on
> Debian.  It's possible that you just left out some packages when
> upgrading (again I'm assuming you upgraded from 4.4.x to 4.6.x).
>
> 	-brian

Success !

I did "apt-cache search" by xfce4-settings-manager and xfdesktop,
installed the latter, did an "apt-get -t unstable upgrade", and on
reboot it worked properly, although the cursor menu is a little different.

It might be worth querying why xfdesktop was not included in the
initial upgrade.

Xfce seems to have matured into a serious competitor for GNOME.

Cheers,

Adam Bogacki,
afb at paradise.net.nz