power manager settings doesn't start

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Thu May 7 16:44:34 CEST 2009

On Thu, 7 May 2009 13:58:20 +0200
Joost Kremers <joostkremers at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> hi list,
>
> the other day i upgraded from xfce 4.6.0 to 4.6.1 (using the slackware
> packages provided by robby workman). since the upgrade, i have a power
> manager icon in the systray. since this is a desktop machine, the
> icon is pretty useless, so i thought i could get rid of it by opening
> the power manager settings and unsetting the icon check box.
>
> but for some reason, the power manager settings dialogue doesn't
> start. when i try from the command line, nothing happens for a while
> until the following error is printed:

> joost at pc3-151:~ $ xfce4-power-manager-settings
> Xfce power manager is running
>

> xfce4-power-manager-settings-ERROR **: Did not receive a reply.
> Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply,
> the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout
> expired, or the network connection was broken.

Joost,

Damn. I meant to mention that in my release notes...  We fixed that in
the -current tree (because we ship the power manager there), but didn't
bother in -stable 12.2 because nothing needs it there.

Grab this: http://slackware.com/~rworkman/hal.conf.txt
and put it at /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf
Reload the messagebus config, and all should be well.

-RW