A few queries regarding the Settings Editor for 4.6.1

Barrie Stott zen146410 at zen.co.uk
Tue May 5 21:32:07 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 07:17:09PM +0200, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On mar, 2009-05-05 at 16:45 +0100, Barrie Stott wrote:
> > I right-clicked Applications -> Settings -> Settings Editor to get the
> > desired window. Near the top are 3 icons. Hovering over each gives
> > (left to right) New property, Edit property, Reset/remove property.
> >
> > 1.	I used the third icon to remove `Alt<F4> Close window'.
> >
> > 2.	The first of the icons is greyed out; why and how do I remove the
> > 	greying out? This is what I would need were I desirous of restoring
> > 	the `Close window' shortcut I suspect.
>
> You should directly use the wm settings:
> xfwm4-settings

Thanks for that. I struggled a bit before I realised I had to double
click on a row and then type the shortcut but got there in the end.

> > 3.	Where will I find the actual file that contains the shortcut
> > 	information?
> >
> .config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts.xml is
> the file containing the keyboard shortcuts.

I found that but it doesn't seem to fit with what I have.

- When I view using the Settings Editor, I get an xfwm4 submenu
  followed by a commands submenu but the file has these the other way
  around.
- Again: with the Settings Editor, under xfwm4->Default, there are
  genuine entries but the file has type="empty" for all Default
  entries.

As a result of this I thought I had the wrong file. It seems that,
although it's the right file, it's of no real help to me in seeing
what is happening.

I'm very grateful for your reply.

Barrie.