mailwatch plugin "error LED" suggestion

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 19 22:15:53 CET 2009

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 9:33 PM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>>> Are other people's IMAP servers so reliable that they want to
>>> be notified of a single connect/login failure?
> I also use the plugin via IMAP, and it also pops up occasional errors.
>
>> Yeah, definitely good suggestions.  Unfortunately there isn't a good way of
>> doing this... the logging system in the plugin doesn't maintain any metadata
>> about the error messages, so they just happen, they get converted to an icon
>> and string, and then the original reasons for the error get forgotten.
>>
> Isn't it possible to use the time info attached to the error messages?
> Instead "pop-up red LED after 3 consecutive error messages" the
> setting could be "pop-up red LED after 5 min of consecutive error
> messages".

But you don't know which mailbox the error is associated with anymore
after it gets stuffed into the log list.  It looks like that info does
get pushed up all the way to the GUI where I convert to a string and
then discard it, so that might make a change like this a *little* bit
easier.

Anything is "possible," of course... I just don't have the time or
inclination to really work on it any time soon.  (Good) patches
accepted, of course.

	-b