no automount; hybernate

Robby Workman rw at rlworkman.net
Tue Mar 17 21:25:11 CET 2009

Hi Joost,

Sorry for the delay; my internet at home has been FUBAR lately, and
finding time to reply at work has been difficult :/

Let's take this to private mail from here, as it's clear that it's not
an xfce issue any more...

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 02:00:07 +0100
"Joost Kremers" <joostkremers at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 14:00 -0500, "Robby Workman" <rw at rlworkman.net>
> wrote:
> > We're a bit behind on the HAL package update needed for all of this
> > to play together nicely in -current, but since you're on 12.2, it
> > wouldn't matter anyway.  I really should update my site with a
> > reference to what I'm about to write... :-)
> >
> > Place the contents of this file:
> >   http://slackware.com/~rworkman/hal.conf.txt
> > in /etc/dbus-1/system.d/hal.conf and make sure your user account is
> > in the "power" group.
>
> well, the eeepc does indeed go into suspend now, but when i try to
> wake the machine up, the power and wlan led switch on again, but the
> screen stays black. ctrl-alt-f1 followed by alt-f7 does not solve
> it... :-(

Sounds like there's a video-related quirk that the machine needs.
You might try pulling the latest hal-info package from our -current
tree (that's a noarch package, so it will be safe to upgrade on a 12.2
system) and see if it makes a difference.

If not, then have a look at README.SLACKWARE in the pm-utils
documentation directory for more troubleshooting information.

> > For thunar-volman, make sure you have to 0.3.80 version installed
> > from my repo (as opposed to the older 0.2 or whatever version for
> > xfce-4.4.x), and then be sure your user is in the "plugdev" group.
>
> i have thunar-volman 0.3.80 on my eeepc, and my user is in the plugdev
> group...
>
> i should perhaps also mention that when i plug in a device, no icon
> for it appears on the desktop, even though the checkbox for removable
> devices in Settings Desktop | Icons is checked. (sorry i didn't
> mention that before... i suspect it is relevant, but i didn't realise
> that until now...)

That sounds like one of the hal addons isn't working properly.  Be sure
you have all of the packages from the 12.2 tree actually installed,
most notably the parted package.  Our hal links to libparted now,
whereas it hasn't in the past, so that one has bitten a lot of people
on the upgrade.

-RW