Middle-clicking on the Mixer panel item of a non-mute-able track

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Mar 10 16:24:51 CET 2009

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 16:47:25 +0200
Jarno Suni <j_suni at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 03:16:09 +0100
> Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:
>
> > Oh, come on! I told you several times today that I'm 100% aware of
> > the issue.
>
> Take it easy, man. I did not ask you anything in the previous message.
> Some other people may want to be aware of the issue.
>
> I also wanted to point out that having QAMix there can act as a kind
> of patch. (I did not tell about _that_ finding in any IRC channel or
> bugzilla.) I know it is far from being elegant. And still you can
> break the behavior by hovering a muted icon, waiting for a tooltip and
> rolling.

Wow ... the above just proves how far off the track you really are.

> > I also told you that its partly fixable within xfce4-mixer, but
> > not entirely because its also the fault of GStreamer.
>
> I think it depends on how the panel item is specified to work in
> this specific case. There are some options:

I think I told you quite a few times that I *know* how to treat this
issue in the mixer code. What are you trying to prove by repeatedly
suggesting how it should behave in that situation? I think this just
proves that you are ignorant and just don't get it.

> > You and I
> > even were in the GStreamer IRC channel and people told you that
> > this is a known issue at their end.
>
> Yes, we were online there at the same time. After I asked there, if
> there is a way to know, whether a playback track is mute-able or not,
> some <__tim> told that there is a patch for gstreamer/gst-plugins-base
> that adds information about whether a mixer track is mute-able or not
> (or so I understood it). I notified you about it, too. And you were
> happy then, remember.

Oh, so I was happy? Right ... actually, its good to know that there is
a way to check whether a mixer track supports muting or not. It doesn't
really solve the problem though.

> (The same <__tim> did not recommend using gst
> mixer as backend on the other hand.)

That's a completely different story because it was about PulseAudio.

> > So, please, stop reporting this issue again and again and again and
> > again and again ... and again.
>
> Sorry, I did not mean to disturb you about those reports. But I think
> you are exaggerating about the amount of the repetition. This is
> different media than the IRC channels. Reporting does not make Mixer
> any worse. I am not reporting to you (only).

I'm not exaggerating. Over the past two months, you've repeatedly been
a pain in the ass and whatever people tell you you just don't get it.
Your bug report comments are either off-topic or unspecific. Your
never-ending questions waste everybody's time.

I really hate to say this to someone but I'm afraid that if you
continue trying to contribute to Xfce in this ungainly way of yours,
everybody involved will enjoy it less. So, please, pack your stuff and
go away.

> > Don't
> > try to find the source of the bug if you don't have a clue (and by
> > now I know that you don't have the slightest idea about anything at
> > all).
>
> I know that you are insulting me and looking down on me. I think
> trying to understand the source code is not a bad thing. This is open
> source software after all. But I understand, if you don't want to
> take time to answer to many questions concerning the mixer. Still you
> seem to be the only one to turn to besides the source code.

I'm happy if people look for solutions for bugs in the source code. But
its different with you. You don't browse and understand the code. You
need someone holding your hand all the time, someone to answer all your
clumsy and annoying questions about what the reason for behaviour X
and Y might be.

Most of our users don't demand that kind of special treatment because
they're smart. You are not.

> P.S. Were there some community discussion about how the Mixer should
> be reshaped for Xfce 4.6? Or has it been Jannis Pohlmann's solo
> project administratively? (If i remember right, Mr Pohlmann has told
> that there is a Mixer redesign coming for 4.8 again, but I don't know
> much more in detail.)

Redesign in 4.8? Where did you pick that up? The panel plugin needs
an overhaul, yes, but I'm not planning major changes in the mixer
itself.

  - Jannis