Icons disappear from toolbar in KDE applications (k3b, amarok, soundkonverter, …)

Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao marcelpaulo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 15:03:10 CEST 2009

Hello !

I have recently switched from KDE to Xfce after an unpleasant encounter
with KDE4, and I'm happy I switched: KDE feels like an elephant whereas
Xfce feels like a dragonfly, in look'n'feel and speed: it's lean and
elegant.

I'm intrigued though by a quirk: some icons disappear from toolbars in
KDE applications. I'm a die hard user of: amarok, k3b, k9copy,
soundkonverter, kflickr and kmldonkey. In all these applications, icons
disappeared from some toolbars. In amarok, for instance, the default
bottom toolbar should include icons for Previous Track, Play/Pause,
Stop, Next Track, but they don't show up: a thin vertical line replaces
each one. Exactly the same thing happens with the toolbars in the other
KDE application I tried.

I installed kcontrol to customize their appearance but it had no effect:
the icons on the toolbars still disappeared.

I have googled on “kde application toolbar disappear xfce” but no hit
shed light on my problem. I also searched the xfce forum to no avail.

This feels like a common problem to solve, since I'd imagine to be
common for xfce users to use the occasional KDE application, but I'm
stumped with no solution.

This is my environment:

Debian Lenny
Kernel 2.6.26-2-686