Losing mouse

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 17:28:42 CEST 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 06:40:07 -0700
Robert <traveling08 at cox.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:08:41 -0400
> Gerard <gesbbb at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I just installed FreeBSD-7.2 on a new PC. I then proceeded to
> > install all the prerequisite programs and finally XFCE4.
> >
> > Specifically:
> >
> > Xfce 4 Desktop Environment
> > version 4.6.1 (Xfce 4.6)
> >
> > The problem is that for no apparent reason and at random times, the
> > mouse pointer disappears. If I move the invisible mouse around the
> > screen, icons will respond. However, I cannot physically see the
> > mouse cursor.
> >
> > I have tried shutting down Xfce and restarting it to no avail. The
> > only way I can get the mouse pointer back is to do a reboot of the
> > PC.
> >
> > I have no idea what to look for so I cannot figure out how to file a
> > bug report on it.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?
> >
> Hello Gerard
>
> And here I thought I was alone in the world. I too run FreeBSD and
> XFCE4 and am experiencing this problem. I started this thread las
> October.
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-October/184738.html
>
> I tried different window managers with the same problem but only while
> using "nv" as the video driver. Switching to VESA, the problem does
> not happen. I am running the AMD64 version and the above thread gives
> details of my hardware.
>
> I have convinced myself this is some conflict between my hardware and
> the "nv" driver, so 99% of the time I stay in CLI. This system is used
> mainly as a file server but every now and then I will have to
> "startx".
>
> I am using a KVM switch so the VESA driver is more of a PITA than it
> is worth because of the different screen positions.
>
> I am curious as to what your hardware is.
>
> HTH
>
> Robert

I have an nVidia GeForce 6150LE and am presently using the standard
'nv' driver that Xorg supplies.

System:

FreeBSD scorpio.seibercom.net 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #2: Wed Jun
10 18:51:20 EDT 2009
gerard at scorpio.seibercom.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SCORPIO  i386

I am running the 32 bit version although I do have a 64 bit processor.
I was told that nVidia would not work on a 64 bit FreeBSD system so I
decided to forgo that option.

The problem is probably with the 'nv' driver, although I have no
practical way of debugging it. I am thinking about using the 'nVidia'
driver available in ports in place of the 'nv' one. Unfortunately, that
is not an option for you if using 64 bit system.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

The easiest way to figure the cost of living is to take your income and
add ten percent.