Losing mouse

Robert traveling08 at cox.net
Tue Jul 28 16:37:54 CEST 2009

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:28:42 -0400
Jerry <gesbbb at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 06:40:07 -0700
> Robert <traveling08 at cox.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:08:41 -0400
> > Gerard <gesbbb at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I just installed FreeBSD-7.2 on a new PC. I then proceeded to
> > > install all the prerequisite programs and finally XFCE4.
> > >
> > > Specifically:
> > >
> > > Xfce 4 Desktop Environment
> > > version 4.6.1 (Xfce 4.6)
> > >
> > > The problem is that for no apparent reason and at random times,
> > > the mouse pointer disappears. If I move the invisible mouse
> > > around the screen, icons will respond. However, I cannot
> > > physically see the mouse cursor.
> > >
> > > I have tried shutting down Xfce and restarting it to no avail. The
> > > only way I can get the mouse pointer back is to do a reboot of the
> > > PC.
> > >
> > > I have no idea what to look for so I cannot figure out how to
> > > file a bug report on it.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?
> > >
> > Hello Gerard
> >
> > And here I thought I was alone in the world. I too run FreeBSD and
> > XFCE4 and am experiencing this problem. I started this thread las
> > October.
> >
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2008-October/184738.html
> >
> > I tried different window managers with the same problem but only
> > while using "nv" as the video driver. Switching to VESA, the
> > problem does not happen. I am running the AMD64 version and the
> > above thread gives details of my hardware.
> >
> > I have convinced myself this is some conflict between my hardware
> > and the "nv" driver, so 99% of the time I stay in CLI. This system
> > is used mainly as a file server but every now and then I will have
> > to "startx".
> >
> > I am using a KVM switch so the VESA driver is more of a PITA than it
> > is worth because of the different screen positions.
> >
> > I am curious as to what your hardware is.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Robert
>
> I have an nVidia GeForce 6150LE and am presently using the standard
> 'nv' driver that Xorg supplies.
>
> System:
>
> FreeBSD scorpio.seibercom.net 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #2: Wed
> Jun 10 18:51:20 EDT 2009
> gerard at scorpio.seibercom.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SCORPIO  i386
>
> I am running the 32 bit version although I do have a 64 bit processor.
> I was told that nVidia would not work on a 64 bit FreeBSD system so I
> decided to forgo that option.
>
> The problem is probably with the 'nv' driver, although I have no
> practical way of debugging it. I am thinking about using the 'nVidia'
> driver available in ports in place of the 'nv' one. Unfortunately,
> that is not an option for you if using 64 bit system.

Hello Jerry

I started thinking about when this problem started for me and it dawned
on me that it was about the time of the "Great XORG" update.

I commented out the "hal and dbus" enable statements in rc.conf last
week and so far I haven't lost my mouse cursor.

Everything is working fine except for the automounting of devices which
"ain't no big deal".

Evidently, HAl does not play nice with my hardware and the "nv" driver.

HTH
Robert