4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 00:39:18 CEST 2009

On 2009-07-13, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anybody could recommend other window managers that work
> well with XFCE desktop and panel?

I've been trying out openbox, and it works quite nicely so far.
Despite the claims for being ultra-lightweight, its footprint
(on my system) is probably a bit larger than xfwm4:

    17643 grante    20   0  9028 5384 3964 S  0.0  0.3   0:00.50 openbox
    17644 grante    20   0  8680 5072 3936 S  0.0  0.2   0:00.04 openbox

    17784 grante    20   0 15240 8312 6992 S  0.0  0.4   0:00.16 xfwm4

Since I have two displays, I have to run two instances of
openbox.  Since only one instanc of xfwm4 is required, it ends
up using a couple MB less total memory.  I think.  It sort of
depends on how much of the openbox shared space is actually
shared with other non-openbox applications, and how much of the
resident space is in fact shared with other apps (since what
one cares more about resident size).

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I wish I was a
                                  at               sex-starved manicurist