4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Wed Jul 15 22:23:49 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 04:07:43PM +0100, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Quite frankly, I said it and I'll say it again, this is free software,
> I am not making any money out of that, so I am not loosing anything
> when people switch to whatever other window manager. Give me facts,
> not black mails. I am still waiting for a single good reason why an
> unfocused window should cover up the currently focused window.

Very simply it often happens that there is information on the
unfocused window that one needs to be able to see while typing in to
the focused window.

It's one of the things that makes Linux/Unix easier to use than
Windows, this very specific difference.  In Windows it works as you
are proposing, you can't (for example) type into a CMD.EXE window
nestling behind IE, the moment you get focus on the CMD.EXE window it
is on top of IE (or at least part of it) and very often obscures the
important bit you are trying to read.

> And I am sure that those who are users of xfce "for 10 years" probably
> remember that the goal of xfce 10 years ago was to keep things simple,
> and adding options for everything and anything not only bloats the
> code but also make the code unmaintainable and raises the risks of
> bugs (and yes, focus management in X is a complex matter).
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Chris Green