4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Joost Kremers joostkremers at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 15 17:37:16 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 15, 2009 at 04:07:43PM +0100, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> I am still waiting for a single good reason why an
> unfocused window should cover up the currently focused window.

I believe several have been given in this thread. I gave my reasons for wanting
this behaviour in an earlier email, though in my case, it's not about new
windows that should become visible but not receive focus, just about existing
windows that I want to remain visible even when I switch focus to a larger
window. Which basically means that I don't have a problem with Xfce's current
policy, because I can simply set "Focus follows mouse" and unset "Raise on
focus."

But Grant (and I think at least one other poster) has explained a different
scenario: starting a program from e.g. a terminal window that pops up a window
to display certain info while the interaction with the program remains in the
terminal window. In such a case, you'll want the new window to be visible but
not in focus. If the terminal window is large or maximized, the popped-up window
may need to partially cover the focussed window to be visible.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments