4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 17:07:43 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Grant Edwards<grant.b.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> So you think there is only one true correct way for a desktop
> to behave and everybody who had different preferences than you
> do is being "non factual"?

Again, you are not getting it.

My opinion has nothing to do with that (stop trying to put the
discussion on a personal level, will you), but I happen to be the
developer who wrote the code, so all I am asking is a simple fact
based explanation on why the previous behavior is desirable. Is that
too much asking for?

"I want that or I'll switch to another desktop/window manager" or "I
have been using window managers for 20 years" or "I am an xfce user
for 10 years" are *not* seen as  a simple fact based explanation.

Quite frankly, I said it and I'll say it again, this is free software,
I am not making any money out of that, so I am not loosing anything
when people switch to whatever other window manager. Give me facts,
not black mails. I am still waiting for a single good reason why an
unfocused window should cover up the currently focused window.

And I am sure that those who are users of xfce "for 10 years" probably
remember that the goal of xfce 10 years ago was to keep things simple,
and adding options for everything and anything not only bloats the
code but also make the code unmaintainable and raises the risks of
bugs (and yes, focus management in X is a complex matter).

Cheers,
Olivier.