4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 22:28:11 CEST 2009

> Also, what is the problem with using Devil's Pie? Isn't that made exactly
> for specialized use cases like this?

There are several technical issues:

  At the moment, it has to be patched to get it to do what we
  want (the vanilla version doesn't have the action we're
  asking for).

  It doesn't _quite_ work right all the time, though I've not
  yet been able to predictably make it fail.

  It dies regularly (every few days) and has to be restarted
  manually.

  I find it visually annoying to have windows pop up behind the
  stack and then get raised.

  We've been told not to use it by the xfwm4 dev because it
  creates race conditions in the window manager.

But mostly it just seems like an ugly hack to fix a basic
issue with the window manager.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I feel like I am
                                  at               sharing a ``CORN-DOG''