4.6: new windows now start on bottom

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Thu Jul 9 00:29:09 CEST 2009

On 2009/07/08 14:16, Grant Edwards wrote:

> We're told that the new behavior (starting all new windows on
> the bottom of the stack instead of the top) is "right", and we
> better just shut up and be happy while the change is shoved
> down our throats.

Calm yourself.  I don't experience the problem you see.  Aside from a
couple broken apps that don't handle focus stealing prevention properly,
all my apps start focused, on the top of the stack.  If I disable focus
stealing prevention, even those broken apps appear on the top of the
stack, focused.

Regardless, you've based your little rant on your own misconceptions and
on information from people who do NOT work on the window manager.  If
there's actually a problem, Olivier will fix it, or will at least
explain why he's not going to fix it, and will likely try to help you
make your setup work to your liking.  (I believe he's in the process of
moving to a different country, which is probably why he's been silent
lately.  Although, to be honest, with how whiny this thread has been,
I'd understand if he'd just ignore it.)

I'm not sure what you're so worked up about.  If you're unhappy with
xfwm4, use a different window manager, or revert to an older version
that worked the way you want it to.  No need to get all up in arms about
it.  It's just a piece of software.

	-brian