GTK2 key theme

Mike McNally emmecinque at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 02:12:49 CEST 2009

sorry - I didn't mean to shout; well I did but I shouldn't have. I
wasn't so much shouting at you as at the general species of mailing
list.

Personally I don't care how it's set up with xfce; maybe it's a GTK2
bug like you say, but as long as there's *some* way to set it I'm
perfectly happy. The main problem (that triggered this thread) was
that google searches for "how do I get the GTK key theme to work in
xfce" turned up a thread from this list, last November, that described
using the GUI setting. Now that *this* thread exists, hopefully google
searches will find us and the next "me" in the future will be all set.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Brian J. Tarricone<brian at tarricone.org> wrote:
> On 2009/07/06 16:27, Mike McNally wrote:
>>>
>>> If there's enough noise by enough people, it might get added back.  But
>>> I'd
>>> rather not see it come back.  The gtk keytheme setting is a power user
>>> setting.  People who want to set it can figure out how to do so in their
>>> ~/.gtkrc-2.0.
>>

>> Nice sentiment, but there's one problem: with xfce, setting the key
>> theme in the GTK rc file DOES NOT WORK.
>
> Chill, dude.  No need to shout.
>
>> The setting MUST be overridden in the xfce configuration.
>
> Odd; other gtk settings that are managed by xsettings (such as the regular
> theme name, and I believe font size) will look to the rc file first, and
> then to xsettings.  Strange that the keytheme works in reverse.  I'd say
> that's a gtk bug that it's not consistent.
>
> Regardless, my original point is not invalidated: it's not an often-used
> setting, and it's still possible to set it (though not in the way I
> assumed).  As time passes, someone may take the time to document the various
> 'hidden' xfconf settings and what they do.  Hell, because of how xfconf
> works, anyone can write a simple GUI to set some of these.
>
>        -brian

Turtle, turtle, on the ground,
Pink and shiny, turn around.