GTK2 key theme

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Tue Jul 7 02:07:14 CEST 2009

On 2009/07/06 16:27, Mike McNally wrote:
>> If there's enough noise by enough people, it might get added back.  But I'd
>> rather not see it come back.  The gtk keytheme setting is a power user
>> setting.  People who want to set it can figure out how to do so in their
>> ~/.gtkrc-2.0.
>

> Nice sentiment, but there's one problem: with xfce, setting the key
> theme in the GTK rc file DOES NOT WORK.

Chill, dude.  No need to shout.

> The setting MUST be overridden in the xfce configuration.

Odd; other gtk settings that are managed by xsettings (such as the
regular theme name, and I believe font size) will look to the rc file
first, and then to xsettings.  Strange that the keytheme works in
reverse.  I'd say that's a gtk bug that it's not consistent.

Regardless, my original point is not invalidated: it's not an often-used
setting, and it's still possible to set it (though not in the way I
assumed).  As time passes, someone may take the time to document the
various 'hidden' xfconf settings and what they do.  Hell, because of how
xfconf works, anyone can write a simple GUI to set some of these.

	-brian