xfburn shadows USB drives?

David Mohr squisher at xfce.org
Thu Jul 2 03:03:07 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Markus
Hoenicka<markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded my laptop just recently to FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE and
> installed XFCE 4.6.1 and xfburn 0.4.1. I've noticed a strange
> interaction between xfburn and USB drives. I use an external WD USB
> hard drive to backup data from work which I periodically burn
> to CD. Burning data from the hard drive works just fine, but:
>
> Method 1:
>
> I plug in and mount the USB drive, then attempt to start xfburn (from
> a console, to see extra output). xfburn (or a library loaded by
> xfburn) prints the message "** Message: Using Thunar-VFS 1.0.1", but
> the xfburn main window never shows up. There is no core file btw.
>
> Method 2:
>
> I start xfburn, which comes up just fine. Then I plug in the USB
> drive. The system does not recognize the drive (no entry shown by
> dmesg or on the console), and there is no way to mount it. This odd
> situation persists even if I close xfburn. It is only after a reboot
> that my box recognizes the drive again.
>
> I assume this is not supposed to be this way. Any clues?

First question is if you are using hal or not? Depending on that we
can proceed, I'll probably have to prepare a tarball with some extra
debugging output. Let me know if you're interested in digging deeper.
Also this should probably go onto a bug report, instead of getting
discussed on the general ML.

~David