batstat - battery monitor for xfce using genmon plugin

Adam adam at fastmail.com.au
Wed Jan 21 11:47:55 CET 2009

Hello,
I created a battery status monitor for xfce because in my opinion the
xfce battery monitor plugin looks disgusting (no offense to the developers).

I didn't want to make a full featured panel plugin so I decided to use
the xfce generic monitor (genmon) plugin instead.
I started off by creating the battery icon set in inkscape. I then wrote
a C program to be invoked by genmon. For those who aren't familiar with
genmon look here:
http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-genmon-plugin.

The feature list of batstat isn't too extensive. Basically it shows the
following information in a tooltip:
-Battery charge remaining (%)
-Estimated battery runtime
-Charge/discharge rate (mAh)
-Battery voltage
batstat also displays an icon which changes according to the battery state.
Lastly I've included the ability to execute an external command when the
battery falls below a specified level.

Here is a screenshot of batstat in action.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ablack/batstat/batstat.jpg

I didn't write this program with the intention of making it public so
use it at your own risk. If you run into any problems I'll be happy to
try and assist, but this is my first C program I've written so I may not
be too helpful.

batstat 0.1 (21-01-09) can be found here:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ablack/batstat/batstat.tar.bz2

Hopefully someone will find this useful.

Cheers

Adam