adding icon's window crash

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Sat Jan 3 00:26:22 CET 2009

kevin wrote:

> How to get a backtrace ? I tried "tail -f /var/log/syslog" while
> clicking : nothing.
>
> I opened the file
>
> /usr/bin/exo-desktop-item-edit
> but there plenty of non-imprimable characters.
>
> Where must I look at ?

Kevin,

You must run the command from gdb in a shell and then cause it to crash.
Once crashed you give the command "bt" for backtrace and the resulting
information should be copied and pasted into your email.

On my system, running the Create Launcher command creates this command
line (from ps):

exo-desktop-item-edit --display=:0.0 --create-new --type Application
/home/rgs/Desktop

Your command line may be different so start it normally and then grab
the command line from "ps ax".

Then open a shell and give it this:

gdb "your command line here"

Note the double quotes around the command line

That should start the Create Launcher dialog. Cause it to crash, then
give gdb the command "bt", then report you results to the list.

Bob S.