Disabled XFCE Session Manager, now can't login

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:07:32 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Jay Mistry <jaylinux53 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't have a ~/.xsession-errors (or even ~/.xsession, though there
>>> is ~/.kde4 and ~/.gnome2 - using openSUSE 11.1 & kdm3).  Is there any
>>> other place to look in ?
>>>
>>> Or is ti possible to re-enable the Session Manager by editing a System
>>> File (I am quite sure that this is the cause of the problem, as that
>>> was the only system change I made before the problem appeared).
>>>
>> Does anything more sensible happen if you try 'startx' rather than
>> 'startxfce4' from the console/terminal?
>>
>> --
>
>> Chris Green
>
> This time I noted the error messages on a piece of paper, and this is what
> was displayed:
> error: Unable to lock /home/(User Name)/.hplip/hp-systray.lock. Is
> hp-systray already running ?
> (Repeated thrice in red font)
> kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children
> (Repeated thrice - plain font)
> .
> .   (some other messages)
> .
> Original exception was: hp-systray: cannot connect to X server :0.0
>
> Also the location of .xsession-errors is /home(User Name)/
>
> (The command syntax mentioned above by David Mohr did not work)
>
> The .xsession-errors file had this (current date & time):
> http://nopaste.com/p/atNguteWqb
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay

Firstly, it appears that you're starting kde (as it says that it's
launching startkde, and then lots of different components of kde).
Secondly, it appears that "Window manager warning: Received a
NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP message from a broken (outdated) client who sent a
0 timestamp" is a warning that Metacity (!?) outputs.
There's not anything Xfce-related in the log. Tho you appear to be
trying to start a bizarre mix of KDE and Gnome.

// Alexander