Xfce on Xubuntu 8.10 how change to be Start-Desktop?

David Mohr squisher at xfce.org
Sun Feb 22 17:23:41 CET 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Heiner Gewiehs <info at gewiehs.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed Xubuntu 8.10 to have Xfce as Desktop-Environment.
> No KDE and
> no Gnome!
>
> I was happy because Xfce did so until I installed "Nautilus" and with it
> some
> Gnome applications.
>
> From now Xfce starts completely but at once it changes to the Gnome-Desktop.

I'm not sure what you mean by "it changing to the Gnome desktop", but
my guess is maybe that nautilus took over your desktop? You can open
up a terminal and run the following command:
"nautilus --quit ; sleep 2s; xfdesktop & disown" to get xfdesktop back
on your desktop.

> What can I do to start Xfce as First Desktop-Environment without Gnome?

If you are starting right into Gnome, then the best place to change
this would be in GDM (I think that's what xubuntu uses by default). At
the bottom you should be able to click on "session" in your login
screen. Do this _after_ you type in your username, but before you type
the password. That way it can associate your choice with the user.

> The same Problem on openSUSE 11.1 I could solve by /etc/sysconfig.
>
> At Xubuntu 8.10 I can't find a switch to do so.
>
> Who can help this time?
> Thanks, a nice day
> Heiner

~David