Pessulus like for XFCE

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 11:54:59 CET 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 5:42 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby (R12y)
<mihamina at lab.vectoris.fr> wrote:
> [I alredy posted it on ubuntu ML but...]
>
> Hi,
> Here in 3rd world countries, internet is still luxury.
> I would like to setup a cybercafe (or cybercoffee?) which is a place
> with several computers and people can surf and pay the time they use the
> computer.
> I would like then have the ability to count how much time (minute
> precision) an account has been logged in.
> Most of the cybercafe I have seen is pre paid, so the real need is a
> countdown and then a forced logout when expired.
>
> What kind of xfce integrated solution can be used?
>
> Pesssulus has been suggested, but it's GNOME only.
> What else?

I do not know much about Pessulus but from what I see, it's a lockdown
editor for GNOME, it does not do what you want.

Xfce has a kiosk mode [1] but that will not disconnect users after a
period of time.

I guess one possibility would be to write a simple tool that
terminates the session after a given period of time, but you'll need
some coding, I do not think there's any integrated tool that do this
automatically.

HTH,
Cheers,
Olivier.