Some advice please

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 12:07:02 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> wrote:
> On dim, 2009-02-15 at 20:42 -0500, Jason Ritzke wrote:
>> My girlfriend desperately wants me to install xfce on her ibook g4 (it
>> runs os x tiger). Could I get some advice on how to install it? I am
>> an ubuntu guy, and I just don't know how this is done (even though
>> xfce says it's compatible with os x, it doesn't say how).
>
> Basically, if she wants Xfce, she needs Linux (Or another common Unix,
> but powerpc Unixes besides OSX and Linux are not that much). Ubuntu
> dropped support for powerpc a while ago so I don't know if it's still
> available, but you could try Debian Lenny (which is just out and
> contains Xfce 4.4.2), which will work pretty fine on powerpc.

I am not sure you'd need Linux here, not even Debian :) Mac OS is
basically a UNIX and also ships with an X server.

And Xfce is in macports:

http://www.macports.org/
http://www.macports.org/ports.php?by=category&substr=xfce

The question is how well it integrates in Mac OS interface...

Disclaimer: I have not tried it, I don't have a Mac.

Cheers,
Olivier.