Notification Area message

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 18:44:10 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Mike Massonnet <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/12/5 Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>:

>>> Just remove the one currently available, and then log out and back in
>>> and then only one instance should show up.
>>
>> I appreciate the inputs. The problem is that we cannot see and cannot
>> any of the duplicate notification areas. There doesn't seem to be
>> anything actually on the panel remotely like the notification area
>> icon, and looking at the file you suggest below I cannot see it in the
>> file either, so I'm confused.

>>> Depends. For Xfce 4.4 look into ~/.config/xfce4/panel/panels.xml. For
>>> Xfce 4.6 look with "xfconf-query -c xfce4-panel -lv -p /panels."
>>>

>> Here are the files I see in the directory you pointed me at:
>>
> [snip]
>
> Ok, it doesn't come from the panel but it looks like another
> application is trying to run in that case. Check inside
> xfce4-session-settings, the tabs Autostart and Session.
>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark
>

> --
> Mike

So it seems that the final outcome of this was my wife somehow had two
panels on top of each other at the bottom of the screen. I never
figured out how to find these looking at the files you suggested.
Probably I'm just not smart enough. I just happened to be playing with
the size of the panel. When I shrank one I saw the other underneath.
It was an exact duplicate with all the same menus, launchers, etc.
When I deleted it her problems went away.

Cheers,
Mark