Notification Area message

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Sat Dec 5 03:42:02 CET 2009

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 1:54 PM, Nick Schermer <nickschermer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2009/12/4 Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> My wife's machine is throwing this message each time she logs in.
>>> Where do I look for the cause and how do I fix it?
>>>
>>> Notification Area:
>>> There is already a notification area running on this screen.
>>>
>> There are 2 notification areas running in the panel.
>>

> That was my guess but I couldn't find anything hovering my mouse over
> everything I could see.
>
> Is there an editable file somewhere or instructions on how to view
> everything in the panel?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Mark,

Start an app that uses the notification area such as Amarok or Pidgin.
You will then see the that app in the notification area. It's normally
invisible if no app is using it unless you have the Show Frame option
turned on. Once you see where it is, you can right click on it and see
its properties. If Show Frame isn't already on, turn it on, then you
will see it even when nothing is using it.

Bob S.