Xfce Digest, Vol 69, Issue 27

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Tue Aug 18 23:59:27 CEST 2009

> Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 02:41:33 -0700
> From: "Brian J. Tarricone" <brian at tarricone.org>
> Subject: Re: menu building
> To: XFCE general discussion list <xfce at xfce.org>
>
> On 08/18/2009 02:19 AM, Chris G wrote:
> > Don't use XML?  :-)
> >
> > I'm semi-serious, xml is far from ideal as a language for 'hand
> > created' scripts.  It's fine as a 'behind the scenes' format when
> > there's a GUI creating it but not if you're editing it yourself.
>
> That would be fine if there *was* a GUI creating it, but there currently
> isn't one that will generate menu xml files that libxfce4menu can
> handle.  Unfortunately hand editing is all we've got until 4.8.
>
> 	-brian

Hi

Firstly must appologise, I am watching this list in digest mode, which I
now find to be very hard to reply to email threads !.

I worked out the include and not - I used exclude instead of the not, I
will have to go back to trying the not.

I did not realise xml keywords were case sensitive. Another question
about that - what is the proper way to comment is it

<-- -->
or
<!-- -->

I always thought the latter.

As for using XML, how else can I configure a .menu file ?

Alex