menu building

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Tue Aug 18 15:01:16 CEST 2009

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 02:41:33AM -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 08/18/2009 02:19 AM, Chris G wrote:
> > Don't use XML?  :-)
> >
> > I'm semi-serious, xml is far from ideal as a language for 'hand
> > created' scripts.  It's fine as a 'behind the scenes' format when
> > there's a GUI creating it but not if you're editing it yourself.
>
> That would be fine if there *was* a GUI creating it, but there currently
> isn't one that will generate menu xml files that libxfce4menu can
> handle.  Unfortunately hand editing is all we've got until 4.8.

Yes, I realised that, I was just being obtuse really.  I do hate XML
if one has to hand edit it (as I do HTML).  There are *far* better
'languages' (if you want to call them that) for writing things like
this with.

It's one of the reasons that I'm gravitating towards going back to
fvwm2, the configuration is written in a sensible format.

--
Chris Green