Minimise windows?

Jonathan Hepburn jonathan.hepburn at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 03:16:03 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Alexander Toresson
<alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Alexander Toresson
>> <alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That's because it actually lowers a window (as opposed to raising it),
>>> it does not minimize a window. So it's not exactly equal, but it may
>>> be useful nevertheless as a substitute. And yes, there seems to be a
>>> lack of a minimize shortcut, you could probably file a bug about that.
>>
>> AFAIK it is called 'hide window'.
>>

> Ah right. Thank you.
>
> // Alexander

Thank you to everyone who replied - I haven't replied sooner because I
haven't had five minutes at my own computer to test these out.

So: We have "hide window" which is still mapped to the old <Meta>+m.

Problem: Doesn't work for me. I tested other <Meta> shortcuts in case
my keymapping was a fscked, and some of them worked, some of them
don''t.

So: Not all of the specified keyboard shortcuts work, and It doesn't
appear to be related to the <Meta>/<Alt> key itself.

As a test, I tried resetting the shortcut to see what would happen if
I tried to reset it to the same <Meta>+m.

Interestingly, double-clicking on the "Hide window" entry revealed a
_blank_ "Shortcut" entry. I could then set it to <Meta>+m, close the
Settings dialogue and hey presto, it worked.

However, re-opening the "Window Manager" settings dialogue would
cancel the shortcut, forcing me to reset it.

Ideas welcome!

Slainte,
Jonathan