ANN: thunar-volman version 0.3.80 released

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Sep 16 08:29:06 CEST 2008

Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On mar, 2008-09-16 at 08:08 +0200, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>> Hm, indeed, but that is just to make sure people get the exo-eject
>> with
>> teardown support for LUKS encrypted volumes.
>
> By the way, about that. I think there's a few issues on how it's managed
> (but undersantand it's done like this to minimize changes on other
> components).
>
> Currently, when I plug a usb token containing some clear partitions and
> an encrypted one, thunar-volman asks me if I want to setup the crypto
> layer. If I refuse because I don't want to use it now, I won't be able
> to redo this later, until I unplug/replug the key.
>
> Similarily, if I setup the crypto layer, mount the encrypted partition,
> then eject it, teardowning the crypto layer, I won't be able to remount
> it later.
>
> I understand it would requires modifications in thunar (like the first
> patches Colin submitted), but from an usability pov I find this better.
>
> Anyway, many thanks for integrating the crypto layer stuff. Even with
> the restrictions stated above, it rocks :)

I was less worried about the changes required for the other
components... Think of the usual use case: You want to access data on
your stick (whether encrypted or not), so you plug in the stick, enter
your password (in case of an encrypted volume), access the data and
eject the stick. Un-/remounting your encrypted volume is not a pretty
common operation (in fact, most people don't even know what that means).

Benedikt