Looking for mailwatch app

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sun Sep 7 06:30:00 CEST 2008

On 2008-09-06, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:19:44 +0000 (UTC) Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> A couple nice-to-have features that I've always wanted (but
>> never had) in a mailwatcher:
>>
>>  * It would be handy to have a way send the mailwatcher(s) a
>>    signal to update.  The sequence of events where this would
>>    be useful is:
>>
>>     1) The watcher detects new mail and changes the icon.
>>
>>     2) Clicking on the icon starts an MUA.
>>
>>     3) The user deletes/saves/whatever the new message.
>>
>>     4) The user closes the MUA.
>
> Ok, current svn will re-check all mailboxes if you send it SIGUSR2.

I was about to try to add that -- as well as another signal to
tell it to clear the status and stop checking until further
notice. The tricky bit is knowing what process to send the
signal to.  Since the ID numbers don't change, one could just
look at the config files or "ps" output and hard-wire it in the
MUA program/script, but it sounded a bit more elegent if there
was a substitution on the "program" strings so that mailwatcher
would substitute the ID number or process name wherever a %p or
something like was found in the string.

>>  * It would be cool if the panel containing the mailwatchers
>>    could stay hidden when there is no new mail.  Can an
>>    auto-hide panel "un-hide" itself based on the state of one
>>    of the plugins?
>
> I think that can be done -- definitely file a feature request on this.

I was looking at the xfce panel API, and I saw the calls to
hide/unhide a panel.  What I hadn't figured out was how to do
the logical "or" of the statuses of multiple mailwatch apps
(they don't know about each other, right?).

--
Grant