panel plugins that cause too many wakeups/s

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 28 21:31:48 CET 2008

Kok, Auke wrote:

> wakeups counts, but average sleep time also. You can have 1000 wakeups per second
> and still get 99% sleep time.

Good point -- I think a lot of people are developing knee-jerk OMG WPS
BAD PONIES! reactions without understanding the whole picture.

And honestly, I'm getting a little tired of they hyper-focus on
squeezing another 10 minutes out of your battery.  Sure, if there's a
poorly-designed app that polls like nuts, it should be fixed.  But I
consider these issues to be pretty low down (right above general
optimisation) on the priority list for being fixed.

On a related note: the battery, systemload, netload, and wavelan plugins
have no active maintainers (AFAICT, I could be wrong).  If people want
these fixed, they're gonna have to step up and take responsibility for
doing it themselves.

	-b