Returning to xfce4 after kde creates issues

chris dunn chris at dunnz.org
Sun Oct 26 18:16:05 CET 2008

After a lengthy spell with kde3.5 under Ubuntu Hardy I decided to return to
xfce4 for another session.

I installed most things xfce4 but not the xubuntu packages (except
xubuntu-default-settings which seems to have installed itself. maybe as a
dependency?) nor zoneminder.

Setting up my desktop and panel was simple, but I'm left with 3 lingering
niggles.

1. The desktop background doesn't seem to stick. Initially I had the default
solid blue. Via the xfce menu settings / settings manager / desktop
preferences, I selected show image
and "/usr/share/xfce4/backdrops/xubuntu-jmak-feisty.png" as the image. That
worked, but when I log out and log in again I get the top 90% of the desktop
in the default solid blue and the bottom 10% in the selected background
image. Going into the settings manager and reselecting the image puts it
right again, but it doesn't survive a log out.

2. I run devilspie to start apps on the required desktop. Under xfce4 it works
with kjots and krusader but not with terminator which ignores the devilspie
spec. Since (I think) this worked ok under kde I'm perplexed. It is possible
that the kde setup for terminator (and the others) was as a result of part
saved session and part devilspie, so I could be plain wrong on this one.

3. Menus seem to be screwed up. My right mouse button clicked on the desktop
gives me menus, and I see :

Settings >
------------
Accessories >
Development >
Games >
Graphics >
Multimedia >
Network >
Office >
Other >
System >
-------------
Help
About Xfce
Quit

That all seems to be good, and all entries seem to function normally.

When I go to Settings / Main Menu, I get an entirely different menu structure
and menu items to those available from the right click on the desktop. Adding
an entry under Main Menu does cause it to show up under the desktop menu, but
in an apparently random location.

I'm guessing that these niggles result either from prior use of kde3.5 or from
not installing some xubuntu or xfce4 package(s).

If anyone can give me some pointers as to how to overcome the issues I would
be delighted.

Thanks for any help up front.

Chris Dunn