Taking another peek...

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 22 11:08:41 CEST 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:03:54 +0100 Steven Maddox (Cyorxamp) wrote:

> >> Two random ideas.... could Alacarte be tweaked in some way to work
> >> for XFCE?
> >>

> > Assuming Alacarte is a menu editor for GNOME... why don't you try it
> > and find out?  If it knows how to edit fd.o-compliant menu files, it
> > should know how to edit our menu, and as long as it doesn't use
> > parts of the spec not (yet) implemented by libxfce4menu, it should
> > work.
> >

> Well from what I understand the actual whatever.desktop files that
> your programs/packages install are never changed... and Alacarte just
> has a 'memory' of the changes (like renamed ones, moved ones, ones
> you've added icons to) you've made to them  -  but doesn't alter the
> actual files.  So if you made a new unix user and logged in you'd get
> the default menu from whatever.desktop files all over again.

Well, sure.   It's not going to edit any system-wide files.  How could
it, as a non-root user?  It should be editing and adding files as the
current user and storing things that you changed in ~/.config/ and
~/.local/.  You'll get the same behavior in Xfce or GNOME.

> I think I did try Alacarte with XFCE before and got mixed results and
> everyone was screaming in #xfce that I shouldn't even try!

Well, if you were trying with 4.4.x, then people were correct.
Alacarte certainly won't work with the 4.4.x menu, as it was mostly
Xfce-specific.

> Anyone else got experience with Alacarte (or any other menu editor)
> and XFCE?

Any such experience is likely obsolete, unless they've been trying it
with SVN or the 4.6 beta.

(Btw, it's just "Xfce", not "XFCE".  It doesn't stand for anything
anymore.)

	-brian