xfce4-mailwatch-plugin pegging the CPU usage meter.

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 17 01:38:56 CEST 2008

Grant Edwards wrote:
> I've got the xfce4-mailwatch-plugin svn r5653 installed, and on
> the surface, it appears to be working fine.  I've got four
> instances configured checking IMAP mailboxes on four different
> servers.
>
> The odd thing I've noticed is that the xfce4-mailwatch-plugins
> completely peg the CPU usage at 100% for 8-10 seconds each time
> it checks the IMAP mailboxes.  I'm running an AMD Athlon 64
> 3200+ clocked at 2GHz, and it just shouldn't take that many
> clock cycles to check an IMAP mailbox.
>
> AFAICT, the each instance of the mailwatch plugin will suck up
> as much CPU as it can the whole time it's "awake".
>
> Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Nothing.  AFAIK that's normal.  Does it on my system too (tho mine's a
bit slower than yours).  If you really care that much, profile it with
sysprof or callgrind or something and tell me where it's spending too
much time.  (Sysprof would be nice; I can't do it myself since sysprof
is x86-only.  Tho callgrind would probably give a log that's easier to
send.)

	-brian