'Restoring' items in the xfwm4 application menu

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 22:57:10 CEST 2008

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:42 PM, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 9:21 PM, Alexander Toresson
>> <alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've noticed that the text of the menu item that for example restores
>>> a window to an unmaximized state has the string "(Un)Maximize" in
>>> current trunk, while when a window is unmaximized the same menu item
>>> reads "Maximize". What is the reason to this?
>>
>> Maximize or unmaximize depends on the current status. "Unmaximize"
>> does not exist in the dictionary, so I opted for (Un)maximize.

Makes sense.

>>> Specifically, translation would be much more straightforward if for
>>> example "(Un)Maximize" can always be assumed to mean "Unmaximize".
>>
>> It's the case, unless I misunderstood your question.

Ah, that's good.

> There is also the case of partial maximization, either horizontally or
> vertically. in that case, the entry will maximize the window entirely
> even if the menu entry reads "(Un)maximize"

Oh, hmm, that seriously defeats my plan of translating it as what
corresponds to the english word "Restore", as there's no word that
really would mean "Unmaximize" would mean (if it had existed). Well, I
can construct a word that would mean it, but that would not be very
nice, and as "Unmaximize" it would not exist in any dictionary. Thus
it would be really nice if the menu item could read "Maximize" when
the window would be maximized by clicking it :)
I'm also planning to translate "(Un)_Fullscreen" as what corresponds
to "Restore" too, for the same reason. I don't think there would be
any disambiguation problem, as only one of these entries reading
"Restore" could be active at a time -- the 'Maximize/Restore' item is
disabled when a window is set into a Fullscreened state and the
'Fullscreen/Restore' item would be labelled as "Restore".

Regards, Alexander