default desktop layout To: xfce at xfce.org

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 14 21:02:12 CEST 2008

Muayyad AlSadi wrote:

>> all else fails, it should do no harm. Consider the people who like the
>> default layout, but can't figure out how to change it - they'll never
>> write in.

Then that's their problem.  OSS is a community effort.  Either you sit
back and accept what you're given -- for free! -- or you get involved
and try to make it happen.

> telling me that CDE users and geeks can't find a way to change the
> default layout should be considered an insult to them (smile)
>
> but me telling you that Windows converts can't change the default
> layout is usual for many of such people.

Windows converts also don't compile and install Xfce from scratch using
our packages.  The install distributions like Xubuntu that come with
Xfce installed.  And guess what -- Xubuntu (or Fedora, Debian, Mandriva,
anyone) is free to set the default layout to best match their users'
needs and expectations.  If they choose to leave the default layout we
set, then that's their choice and their problem (if there even is one).

*Our* users (i.e., users of the tarballs we distribute) are power users.

> I have no problem in xubuntu's layout, I'll be happy if xfce default
> layout is not the one I made
> because I don't claim to be Mr. right guy

Funny, seems like that's all you've been claiming...

> anyway, I'm asking for any default layout for the rest of us or the
> non-geeks or for humans (call them whatever you want)

Then build one yourself and host the config files somewhere.

>> really think that the default layout of Xfce doesn't really matter,
>> all it should do is reflect the choice of the developers... Users can
>> and will be taken care of by the distro's...
 >
> that's true but not with Fedora, they have up-streaming policy
> I asked the maintainer in Fedora to have any user-friendly layout and
> he pointed me here

Of course -- he'd prefer to have to change the packages less, not more.
  It's less maintenance work for him that way.  But we're sending you
back: if you want a different default layout, you'll have to talk to
your packager.  If they think it's warranted for *Fedora's* needs, then
they'll do it.  If you don't like Fedora's policies, pick another distro.

> anyway please if you do not like to change the layout please at least
> supply a first login layout chooser

Anyway please pay me US$90 per hour to write such a chooser for you.  I
estimate 6-8 hours for implementation, testing, and debugging, plus
another 3-4 hours to develop and integrate several alternative layouts.

	-brian