Keyboard shortcut settings

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Tue Oct 14 16:23:38 CEST 2008

Am Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:09:54 -0600
schrieb "David Mohr" <squisher at xfce.org>:

> On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>
> wrote:
> > Am Tue, 14 Oct 2008 15:55:57 +0200
> > schrieb Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér <morten at technographer.net>:
> >
> >> One thing apart from the layout discussion:
> >> Is there a specific design reason that keyboard shortcuts are
> >> defined in two separate places in the Settings Manager, both in
> >> Window Manager > Keyboard
> >> - and in
> >> Keyboard > Shortcuts?
> >
> > Yes, it's because they are independent from each other. You can use
> > Xfce without xfwm4 and you can as well use xfwm4 without Xfce if
> > you like. Thus it makes no sense to merge the shortcuts.
>
> Hmm, given the fact that probably xfwm4 and Xfce together is the most
> used combination, maybe the presentation could be slightly better
> integrated? Given that the config dialogs are already getting
> 'gplugged', maybe there could be a "keyboard shortcut configuration"
> if both Xfce and xfwm4 are detected which simply plugs the two dialogs
> right next to each other?

This would only mess things up in xfce4-settings-manager. I guess
people just have to accept the fact that there are two shortcut
dialogs. However, with 4.6 we're striving to make things a bit more
transparent by allowing to resolve shortcut conflicts between xfwm4 and
the other dialog, similar to how it can be seen in this video:

http://lunar-linux.org/~jannis/videos/xfce/xfce4-keyboard-shortcuts-20080907.ogv

  - Jannis