default desktop layout

Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér morten at technographer.net
Mon Oct 13 12:17:26 CEST 2008

Dear all,
I think vertical panels are a bit tricky to work with, because they
(particularly the right one) almost always end up too close to the event
triggers of the application you are using. So if I have to grab the
scroll bar, close a window or some such, I might end up launching
something instead. Not good.
I find that the concept of utilising the corners like Vincent mentioned
is sound. I have done this myself, putting the menu and the goodbye
button in the two corners I use:
http://syntaktisk.dk/grphcs/desktop131008.png
As you will see, I have a much narrower panel, and I have often
wondered why the default panel size is so wide (which is also why a
default installation of KDE looks like some sort of Fisher-Price Childs
First Easy To Grab Toy to me).
If there is one enhancement I should suggest (which of course is an
enhancement to me and quite possibly not the rest of the world) is
integrating the features of datetime/orage clock display. I really need
to be able to see the date, and I have been wondering why this has to
be an external plugin rather than built in.

Yours,
Morten
__
Morten Juhl-Johansen Zölde-Fejér