Can't get a good resolution with nVidia card.

Chris Andrew cjhandrew at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 17:02:37 CEST 2008

Hi, all.

I've installed Xubuntu 8.10.  (Unfortunately) I have an nVidia
on-board graphics card.  After my installation, i was prompted to
install an nVidia proprietary driver, which I did.  I then did a
reboot, as asked to.  When my Xfce session started, my resolution was
so low, that I couldn't do anything on-screen.  I removed all the
nVidia rubbish, and now have a maximum resolution of 800x640.

When I tried to change the display setting using Settings > Display,
the best resolution was 840.  When I do dpkg-reconfigure xorg-xserver,
I don't get any prompts for resolution.  Can anyone tell me how to get
a slightly higher resolution?  I would be happy with 1024xsomething.

Many thanks,

Chris.

--
Reasons why you may want to try GNU/Linux:

http://www.getgnulinux.org/